Has your fence blown over by the storm? Who is in charge of repairing a broken fence? Do you know where your fence or property line is? By law which side of the fence is mine? Using our handy guide, you can find out which fence is yours.

How can I find out which side of the fence is mine?

Anything you've heard about "left-hand" or "right-hand" rules is a myth, as they don't exist. The most commonly used method to determine who owns what side of the fence is to check the Title Plan or Land Registry. The T mark on the plan is used to show who owns the boundary and who is responsible for its maintenance.

What if I can't find the paperwork?

If you did not receive a copy of the paperwork when you purchased the house, don't panic; you can request documentation online through the HM Land Registry website. On this site, you can also find out if the property or land in question is registered (it generally is) and get a copy of the title register and title plan, which should show the borders of your property. 

Can I identify who owns the fence just by looking?

The location of the rails on a fence can reveal who owns it, with the fence often facing away from their property so that their neighbour gets the 'good' side of the fence. Because there are no rails for someone to use to climb into your garden, this is the most secure type of facing fencing. This is then repeated with the neighbour on the opposite side to guarantee that each home has a 'good' and a 'poor' fence. This is only sometimes the case, so double-checking legal paperwork is always a good idea.

Talk to your neighbour

In most cases, simply talking to your neighbours about who owns what and who is responsible for maintaining boundaries would be enough. Neighbours frequently agree to share responsibility for shared boundaries. The Land Registry website contains a wealth of information on this subject. You and your neighbour might reach a boundary agreement. This will formally record everything and save future owners the headache of potential fencing disputes. Your local council's planning department should be your next point of contact, and if all else fails, seek legal assistance from a solicitor to resolve the matter.

Do you need to replace your fencing?

If you need to replace your boundary fencing, we provide an extensive selection of high-quality fence panels. Our selection of fence panelsfence posts, and fence repair materials can be picked up at your nearest Frank Key branch or ordered online for home delivery.