Once you have the equipment and tools ready, it is time to build the wall. Here is our step-by-step process to help you along the way…
- The trench. You’ll need to dig a trench with your shovel for the first set of bricks to rest in, remember to keep the base of the trench level.
- The base. Use your tape measure to find even intervals for your stakes. Drive them into the ground until they’re half the height of the trench, use the level to ensure they’re even.
- Once they’re even pour your cement in until it’s level with the stakes. Use your metal float to level the cement, then you should allow for the cement to set. This could take a while but it is a crucial part to the stability of your wall.
- You’ll need to create two guideposts at both ends of the trench, this will help to make your wall straight. These posts should be in a ‘U’ shape and should be 3 pieces of wood nailed together. Then you should fasten a string to a hook on top of the post and stretch it to the opposite post.
- Dry laying. Place the first layer of bricks on the base, without cement. This allows you to locate each of the bricks and gather a better understanding.
- Now you can lay the mortar and bricks. Spread your mortar half an inch thick and have enough to cover for several bricks. Then place your bricks on the mortar, ensure the layer is even through using a level. Continue this process until you have the finished wall, remember to remove excess mortar which overflows.
- Bide your time. Now everything is in place, all you need to do is wait for the mortar to set. Once set you have your complete garden wall, yes we know, it really is very simple.
Are you interested in decorating your garden wall or are unsure on what garden wall you might want? Take a look at our previous blog to help give you some ideas, we also have a brochure which gives you some ideas of other material you can use.